Monday, January 28, 2013

"I Speak Baby"

This past weekend was definitely an adventure. My cousin and her husband are moving, and they stopped at my house on their way to their new home. They brought their son with them, who was born back in October. I was so excited to meet my new baby cousin, not just because he's a new addition to the family, but because I have come to the realization that I need more experience interacting with babies.

I love kids. I do. I have babysat for small children before, but not one of them has been younger than five. I've only changed a diaper once, on a two-year-old. So I have never really spent more than five minutes with an infant--until this weekend. 

First I had to make myself comfortable holding him. He weighs twelve pounds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but I had to remind myself that this was a person, not a sack of flour. I was really nervous about it, but he didn't cry, so I guess that was a good thing.

I was highly impressed with the baby's ability to sleep through anything. My cousin also brought her puppy, so between the puppy and my own dog, there was a lot of energetic canine running and barking (my dog did most of the barking). Didn't wake up the baby at all. And after he went to bed one night, we were all laughing and playing cards and making a bit of noise while the baby slept soundly downstairs. Nothing woke this kid up. I hope my own kids sleep that well when I have them.

Playing with a baby is more fun than some people make it seem. And it actually feels like it's more fun for the adults than it is for the baby. All they do is sit there while you make all the noises and push the buttons on the toys. But it's really great when the baby smiles at you. Happy babies are the best.

I always get upset when I hear a baby cry, even if it's not related to me. I know that crying is the only way a baby can communicate, but it still makes me sad--especially when you can't figure out why they're crying in the first place. Are they hungry? Tired? Do they need a diaper change? (Though that last one is usually easy to figure out.) 

The point is, I should probably have more time interacting with babies--I know it will feel like instinct when I finally become a mom, but luck favors the prepared, as they say.

Do not even get me started on the two dogs in the house.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment